'Wait upon the
Lord and reach out'
Diocese of Zululand serves 283 congregations – from
the Tugela River in the South to the borders of Mozambique and
Swaziland in the North, and inland to the Diocese of the Highveld.
From the Diocesan offices, adjacent to the Cathedral in Main
Road, Eshowe, we reach out to all our people, helping them to
find their God-given identity, calling and talents – so
that our communities may be healed of hopelessness, poverty and
Use our website to catch up on the latest news in our Diocese, find
a church near you, get in touch with members of our
clergy, find out more about our
work in the area, and get involved in supporting
the Anglican Church in Southern Africa, as we strive to
bring people to Christ.
The Anglican Diocese of Zululand is looking for a suitable qualified, and experienced person to fill the position of a Diocesan Secretary with effect from the 1st of March 2022. The position is located in the Diocesan Office in Eshowe.
Key responsibility areas of the incumbent include:
- ensuring that the Diocese maintains an effective, efficient and transparent financial management and control system;
- effective management of human resources and ensuring compliance with the necessary regulatory prescripts;
- enabling appropriate governance procedures to be in place to ensure accountability and transparency, in compliance with the Acts of the Diocese, the Canons of the Anglican Church of Southern Africa and the laws of the RSA;
- ensuring that property, heritage and archive resources for both the Diocese and the parishes are effectively managed and controlled, while anabling effective support to the various parishes and organisations;
- to act as Secretart to Diocesan Council, Diocesan Trust Board and other such bodies and to be responsible for the agendas, reports and minutes thereof;
- to be an ex officio member of all committees appointed to arrange Diocesan Synod, Elective Assemblies and consecrations and to assist with all the planning and administration of these events;
- to be responsible for the training of the church officers in parish administration
- The minimum qualification required is at least a relevant Bachelor's Degree or equivalent qualification in Business Management and Accounting and must be computer literate.
- Some basic knowledge of the ecclesiastical regulatory environment within which the Diocese of Zululand operates (i.e. Canons of the Anglican Church of Southern Africa, Acts of the Diocese)
- The applicant should have: had experince (5 years or more) in the management of an organisation requiring the ability to communicate, work with and understand the needs of the various levels within the organisation.
- the ability to make decisions while retaining empathy in dealing with people;
- honesty and trustworthiness;
- the ability to work under pressure and to work overtime whenever necessary;
- the cofidence to monitor and to discipline administrative staff where necessary;
- it is desirable that s/he be confirmed communicant of the Anglican Church of Southern Africa; and
- excellent verbal and written communication skills in English; however, the ability to communicate in isiZulu would be an advantage.
The successful applicant will have to understudy the current Acting Diocesan Secretary for three months (i.e. March to May 2022).
Remuneration: A negotiated remuneration package, commensurate with experice will be offered.
Closing date for applications: 10 January 2022.
Written applications together with the relevant certified copies of documents must be posted to the Bishop of Zululand:
P O Box 147
or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or hand delivered to Mrs June Smith; 92 Main Street